What it is
Bill Wilson appeared to have it all—a promising career, a loving wife, and good friends to share a few drinks with after work. Sometimes he drank too much, but he assured his wife Lois he could handle it. Then came the Depression and a dizzying downward spiral into a state of almost perpetual drunkenness. Finally, in 1935, while trying to stay sober, Bill met Dr. Bob Smith, a barely-functioning surgeon who was also leading a nightmarish life of alcohol dependence. By sharing experiences and by mutual support without judgment, the two men learned to maintain sobriety. They became, in Dr. Bob’s words, “buddies on the stormy sea of booze,” and their “shaky little fellowship” has developed into what’s often called the most successful self-help movement in history—Alcoholics Anonymous.
- Starring James Woods and James Garner.
- Includes "Making of" featurette, behind-the-scenes interview, biographies, credits and production story.
- Wide-screen version; closed captioned.
- Approx. 110 minutes running time.
- Originally aired 4/30/89.
- Learn more about Bill and Lois Wilson in the DVD When Love is Not Enough: The Lois Wilson Story.
Our service and delivery
- We’ll send you an email letting you know your order has been shipped by FedEx Ground. Your email will include tracking information.
- If you need your order delivered quickly, Hallmark can send it via FedEx 2-Day Air or FedEx Standard Overnight for an additional charge.
- FedEx does not deliver to post office (PO) boxes, U.S. territories or Overseas Military Mail (APO/FPO) addresses.
- Saturday delivery and Priority Overnight options are not available from FedEx.